This is the church’s legal name as given by the Church Commissioners.
A classification of the current status of the building
This is a unique identification number supplied to each church building by the Church Commissioners.
Name of diocese in which the church building is located at the time of entry.
Name of archdeaconry in which the church building is located at the time of entry
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
The decision to put a church building on the National Heritage List for England and assign it a listing grade is made by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. The decision is normally based on recommendations made by Historic England, the government’s adviser on the historic environment.
The decision to schedule a feature (building, monument, archaeological remains, etc.) located within the church building’s precinct or churchyard is made by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. The decision is based on recommendations made by Historic England, the government’s adviser on cultural heritage.
National Parks are areas of countryside that include villages and towns, which are protected because of their beautiful countryside, wildlife and cultural heritage. In England, National Parks are designated by Natural England, the government’s advisor on the natural environment.
Conservation areas are places of special architectural or historic interest where it is desirable to preserve and enhance the character and appearance of such areas. Conservation Areas are designated by the Local Council.
The Heritage at Risk programme is run and managed by Historic England, the government’s advisor on cultural heritage. It aims to protect and manage the historic environment, so that the number of ‘at risk’ historic places and sites across England are reduced.
Selecting a single date for the construction of a church building can sometimes be very difficult as most CoE buildings have seen many phases of development over time. The CHR allows you to record a time period rather than a specific date.
The CHR records the time period for the building’s predominant fabric as opposed to the date of the earliest fabric or the church’s foundation date.
It seems to be the wrong photograph. Provided coordinates come up with another church on geograph.org.uk
2011, April 06
ICBS File Number - 10304
Coverage - 1901-1904
Created by ?PAUL, Roland Wilmot: d. 1935 of London; ROISER & WHITESTONE
Coverage - 1898
Created by ?PAUL, Roland Wilmot: d. 1935 of London;ROISER & WHITESTONE
If you notice any errors with the below outlines of your connected churchyards, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the corrections needed.
This could include information on new churchyards, edits to the boundaries shown, or different land characteristics.
We are working on adding the consecrated land found within local authority cemeteries, and in time, this data will be shown on the map.
This field describes the setting of the church building, i.e. the surroundings in which the church building is experienced, and whether or not it makes a positive or negative contribution to the significance of the building.
Abbey Dore is a very rural parish at the southern end of the Golden Valley in South Herefordshire, just 15 miles from Hay-on-Wye, 12 miles from Hereford and 15 miles north of Abergavenny. It is a village (more a collection of widely spread out farms and cottages) and civil parish, with a small population. The Abbey is situated next to 125 acre Ewyas Harold Common.
Abbey Dore railway station closed in 1941. It was on the Great Western Railway branch line linking Pontrilas and Hay-on-Wye. Those visiting the church come by bus, drive, cycle or walk. The Herefordshire Trail passes through the churchyard, crossing the river via a footbridge east of Tan House Farm.
The Abbey is located in a rolling managed landscape on the Old Red Sandstone of Devonian age from which the abbey is built, characterised by small fields interspersed with wooded areas, including Gilbert’s Hill Wood to the east on the other side of the winding River Dore, a tributary of the Wye. The land is mostly given over to pasture (sheep and some cattle), which has a long tradition going back to at least the monastic estate. The area has a historic relationship to the production of wool, leather (tanning) and other textiles, as well as meat and dairy products.
Dore Abbey is situated directly to the west of the river, and there are artificial leats coming off this, which there would have been in the monastic period to serve the Rere-Dorter (toilets) and to supply the kitchens and refectory. There are the remains of tanning tanks which are known from documentary sources to have existed at the Abbey. A corn mill is known to have stood within the precinct and elsewhere within it there are earthworks indicating the location of further monastic buildings and structures.
The church stands within the ancient abbey precinct, however little of the ruined conventual buildings survive above ground. The abbey precinct is a scheduled monument under the following designation:
In the churchyard there are four sets of listed structures. These are:
The gates and gate piers, as well as the stable block and old rectory are also listed. Their designations are as follows:
Provide as written description of the ground plan of the church building and well as its dimensions.
The church is transeptal in plan. It has eastern chapels, a three by three bay presbytery, which itself has north and south presbytery aisles each of three bays and two by five bay ambulatory with former eastern chapels, a south-east tower, and south porch. Upstanding roofless remains include eastern bay of north wall of nave aisle, sacristy and adjacent fragment of a western corner of a dodecagonal chapter house. The alignment is north-west/south-east.
Presbytery 51ft x 28ft; central crossing 27.5ft x 28ft; north and south transepts both 28ft x 28ft; Ambulatory has a double east walk 18ft wide and north and south walks of 13.5 ft.
Very Large (>1000m2)
This field aims to record the archaeological potential of the wider area around the building and churchyard, as well as the history of site.
Geologically and topographically this is an attractive undulating lowland landscape for settlement, with many river tributaries. The solid geology of the greater part of Herefordshire is of Devonian age and belongs to the Old Red Sandstone, which, through weathering, gives rise to the characteristic colour of the local soil. It also gives the Abbey its characteristic reddish hue. There are a number of scattered findspots of Stone Age flints along the rivers. Bronze Age and Iron Age tools and possible barrows are known in the area, though none in the immediate vicinity of the site. Finds from all these periods are possible.
A section of the Roman road from Kenchester to Abergavenny was reportedly found in Abbey Dore station yard in 1908. There have been several other finds (pottery sherds) in the area, but no obvious traces of a settlement or villa.
There are nine charters in the Dyfrig (Dubricius, late 6th and early 7th century) section of the Book of Llandaff, which was written in the 12th century. These are in and around Herefordshire. Lann Cerniu, thought to be possibly the site of Abbey Dore, is the object of a grant made by Pepiau to St Dyfrig according to the Book of Llandaff. This has not been proved by archaeology. Part of an iron horseshoe dated to the 4th - 6th century AD was found a few hundred yards to the south-west of the Abbey, but this does not prove occupation in this period.
After the Conquest
From the time of St Augustine's mission to re-establish Christianity in AD 597 to the reign of Henry VIII, monasticism formed an important facet of both religious and secular life in the British Isles. Settlements of religious communities, including monasteries, were built to house communities of monks, canons (priests), and sometimes lay-brothers, living a common life of religious observance under some form of systematic discipline.
Dore Abbey was founded in 1147 by Robert Fitzharold, the Lord of Ewyas Harold, and can be seen as part of the main wave of Cistercian foundations at the height of popularity of the movement in the early 12th century. It was formed as a daughter house of the Cistercian abbey at Morimond, which was the 5th senior house of the order. Dore was the only British house to be colonised by Morimond.
Abbey Dore sent out three colonies of its own: Trawscoed (in Wales, 1173), although this house was aborted in the early years of the thirteenth century and the site was subsequently worked as a grange; Grace Dieu in Monmouthshire (1226); and Darnhall (1274) which later moved to Vale Royal, both in Cheshire.
The nucleus of the church is thought to have been constructed 1170-1185, and continued through the time of the first three abbots, Adam (1186-c.1216), Adam II (c.1216-1236), and Stephen of Worcester (1236–1257). In 1260, the abbey was described as a "sumptuous church". It was consecrated by Thomas de Cantilupe, Bishop of Hereford, in 1282, and was dedicated to the Holy Trinity and Saint Mary.
Apart from its estates in the Golden Valley, Dore Abbey acquired a number of valuable properties in Wales. During the early 13th century the abbey expanded its land holdings, particularly through the acquisition of good quality farmland in the area granted to them by King John in 1216.
The abbey was run with the aid of seventeen granges, nine in the Golden Valley, four in northern Gwent, and three far to the west in Brycheiniog, centred on the parish of Gwenddwr. The abbey also drew revenues from five appropriated parishes.
This enabled the abbey to become wealthy, especially through the sale of wool, and as a result it was largely rebuilt in the Early English style in the 13th century. The chancel was expanded with additional chapels and a processional ambulatory. Domestic buildings and a chapter house were added..
The Reformation and Dissolution
In the survey of 1535 ordered by Thomas Cromwell the net annual income was valued at £101. The house was dissolved a year later, without offering any serious resistance. Following the Dissolution, a sale of goods was held at Dore and by 1540 John Scudamore, a member of a gentry family historically connected with Owain Glyndŵr, had not only purchased all the goods belonging to the Abbey but was also granted the site of the abbey together with some surrounding property. No effort was put into maintaining the building but services continued to be held in the most water-tight parts of it.
In 1633 it is believed that after the early deaths of several of his children the 1st Viscount Scudamore became convinced that he should make amends for living off the proceeds of former monastic land. Scudamore was a friend of William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury, who is believed to have influenced him in this. Scudamore decided to restore what was left of the abbey church and convert it for use as the local parish church. The east end of the church was re-roofed so that it might serve the parish, while the nave, together with most of the cloister buildings, was left to fall into ruin. This is the opposite of what happened at many other monasteries after the Dissolution, where the nave became the parish church and the eastern parts were demolished.
A new tower was added over the south chancel aisle (or former inner transept chapel), the crossing tower having been demolished, and a new west wall built. The original mediaeval mensa slab was said to have been found in a nearby farm and was returned to the church. A new west gallery and a carved oak rood screen, incorporating the arms of Scudamore, Laud, and King Charles I, was made by John Abel of Hereford. Abel was responsible for other woodwork including the roofs and choir stalls, and possibly the bell frame. New stained glass was commissioned, and the walls were painted with pictures and texts, many of which remain visible. The new church was re-consecrated on 22 March 1634.
Recent tree-ring analysis found that of the timbers used in the restoration, some were felled AD1205-1238, while others dated to a few decades before the 1633 restoration.
New wall paintings, including a large coat of arms of Queen Anne were added between 1700 and 1710, and six new bells were cast in the same period.
Victorian and Edwardian
The church was restored between 1895 and 1909, including re-roofing using the local Old Red Sandstone slates. Many of the original stone slates were re-used. The architect, Roland Paul, was also responsible for part-excavating and plotting the remaining foundations and traces of the original Abbey buildings.
Late 20th and early 21st century
The church is now little altered since the 1900s rearrangement. By the middle of the 20th century the condition of the church was poor. The congregation was small, and closure was suggested. By the 1990s many of the fixings had failed so that the whole roof needed to be stripped and recovered. English Heritage worked with the congregation and Friends to effect the repairs. English Heritage offered a grant of £278,100 (80%) towards the roof works on condition that sound slates from the existing roof be re-used and the shortfall made up with new stone. The work was undertaken in 2002.
Today the church, supported by the Friends, enjoys regular church services, has a fine organ and is the venue for many concerts. Its future is however uncertain in the medium to long term due to a lack of facilities to support more educational and outreach work.
This field aims to record a written description of the exterior of the church building and the churchyard.
The building forms what was previously the eastern arm of the cruciform abbey church. It is comprised of the crossing with transepts and a presbytery with aisles and eastern ambulatory. The 17th-century tower over the south aisle is unusual and gives a unique appearance. It is thought that placing a tower here was a less expensive way of achieving a space for six bells. The nearest comparisons to the redevelopment of the abbey post dissolution are to be found in Europe, e.g. Hildesheim or Cashel.
The Presbytery, aisles and ambulatory
The north and south presbytery aisles have 2:2 bays of chamfered lancets divided by weathered buttresses with deeply moulded plinths, and linked by a billet-moulded string which rises to gables truncated by 17th century roof alterations. The pointed north doorway set beneath the thereby diminished lancet in the third bay from the east has a 13th-century plank door with ornate strap hinges, a rare survival.
The east wall of the ambulatory and former east chapels are of similar design to the aisles, with keel-moulded strings and lancets to each bay between buttresses.
The narrow, steeply gabled, presbytery rises above the aisles and ambulatory and has single lancets to the north and south clearstorey. The east wall has three stepped chamfered lancets and two more lancets, probably 17th-century, in the gable above lighting the roof space.
The tower is tall and square. It is of four stages with a string course beneath the embattled parapet and angle buttresses to south-east corner. There is one central chamfered lancet to first stage of south and east faces, with similarly positioned round-headed single-light windows to third and fourth stages.
The crossing gable (blocked east end of nave)
The west elevation has a blocked 2-centred arch to the crossing containing a central 2-centred single-light 17th-century window and flanking aisle arches with a small lancet above the scar of each nave aisle roof, outside each of which is a tall lancet. The crossing gable has a 17th century corbel table. The single bay of the south aisle which survives has a trumpet capital supported by a decorative corbel on the nave pier and a waterleaf capital to the western respond.
The north transept was begun in the 12th century and is of two bays. The north elevation has the blocked doorway of the former night stair from the dormitory at first floor level, and a 17th- century doorway at ground level. In front of this are the ruined remains of the previously barrel vaulted sacristy and bases of shafts for one of the angles of the polygonal chapter house.
The south transept was built in the 13th century and is of two bays, with buttresses and a 17th-century corbel table. The south elevation has a pair of very tall shafted lancets with waterleaf capitals surmounted by a vesica window in the gable, all surrounded by deep roll mouldings and flanked by large buttresses with off-sets. The lean-to on the east end of the east side of the south transept contains a newel staircase to the 1st stage of the tower, with loop lights and two lancets in the gable, which is probably 17th-century.
The south porch
The south porch to the west side of the south transept has quadrant braces to the front tie-beam above which are V-struts, suggesting a 17th-century date; the rear tie has its underside carved away to clear the doorway, and quadrant braces missing; the south-west post has an incised key-hole pattern on its west side; side panels are roughly square and two panels high to the wall-plate. The south porch has a stone flagged floor and benches. The inner doorway of the porch has a 2-centred deeply moulded arch, one with keel-moulding, a dog-tooth hood mould and single attached shafts with stiff leaf capitals; the door is battened and studded with two decorative wrought iron strap hinges.
This field is an index of the building and its major components
This field is an index of the building’s material composition
This information forms part of the Shrinking the Footprint project.
This field aims to record a written description of the interior of the church building.
The overall interior of the church is quite plain and the walls of the presbytery and aisles are exposed stone. The crossing and transepts are plastered and richly decorated with faded wall paintings and texts, but also with parts of the fabric exposed. The floors are composed of stone slabs and many fine ledger stones, mainly of the 18th century.
The ceilings of the crossing and transepts are in oak and the result of John Abel's 17th century restoration, although incorporating some re-used timbers from the pre-Dissolution roof. The ceilings are carried on consoles on oak wall shafts rising from 12th century wall shafts which formerly supported the vaulting to the crossing and transepts, probably timber originally, with angle-struts to moulded and chamfered ceiling beams; the wall-plates are also moulded and chamfered.
In the south transept wall is a rectangular cupboard with Dog-tooth surround and 17th century panelled doors, also a 17th century poor-box and 17th century chest.
The north transept north wall has a Royal Arms of Queen Anne to the right of the doorway to the former night stairs, several other 17th-century wall paintings are visible on this and the west wall, some across the blocking of the crossing arch. An arch opens to the outer transept chapel that now functions as a vestry on the east side, with a plain wooden screen into which is let a door.
Against the west wall in front of the blocked crossing arch is a fine gallery, supported on four columns, similar to those of the screen with panelled superstructure and balustered stairs at south end these are also by Abel. Facing this, is a screen separating the chancel from the transept. This is 17th century work by Abel and has four bays divided by Ionic columns, central entry, deep cornice, strapwork decoration, and the Royal Arms of Charles I between those of Scudamore and Archbishop Laud. The dado has posts-with curved run-out chamfer stops.
The presbytery roof, restored in 1902, is similar to the crossing but more elaborate with grotesque female consoles, carved angle struts and acorn pendants. The seating is massive oak benches with carved ends, standing on boarded pew platforms. The pews are believed to be to Scudamore’s design. The stalls and benches have early 17th-century panelling with arabesque designs, similar pulpit. Fine early 17th century communion rails dividing the chancel from the north and south aisles, and another rail of similar design in front of the 17th century communion table, an intact Laudian arrangement.
The High Altar consists of a Medieval stone mensa slab with consecration crosses supported on two sets of re-used clusters of shafts, 13th century, with heraldic tiles to each side.
The aisles, ambulatory and five former eastern chapels have quadripartite vaults, the last two separated by four groups of clustered shafts rising from dividing walls.
The arcades have deeply moulded two-centred arches and 14 clustered shafts to piers dividing the east end into three bays; the two eastern bays are in a similar style, whilst the western bay has narrower and higher double chamfered 2-centred arches resulting from the conversion of former inner eastern transept chapels into aisles. These have water-holding bases, keel-moulded shafts and capitals with trumpet, water-leaf and acanthus motifs. Two aumbries in the south wall each with a two-centred head. There are two hatchments on the south wall.
The south-east chapel of the ambulatory has fragments of late medieval stained glass in the east window, and 17th century glass commissioned by the Scudamores. This chapel also contains a large trefoiled aumbry in the north wall.
There are numerous architectural fragments from the lost nave on display in the eastern bay of the ambulatory, including several 14th century roof bosses, one depicting the Coronation of the Virgin.
The north and south aisle arcades each have a 13th century recumbent effigy of a knight within the arcades; the south aisle also has a large dug-out sarcophagus.
The Hoskyns chapel to south of tower has trefoil-headed piscina with two circular drains and to its right a trefoiled aumbry; between the two is a small niche with a 2-centred head and fragments of medieval glass.
Adjacent to the arch to the south-west Hoskyns chapel is a 17th century doorway with 2-centred head and 17th century door leading to the newel staircase of the tower. At the time of writing the floors in the tower had just been repaired and the new bell-frame installed beneath the old one. There are lesser horseshoe bats roosting in the tower, and work has to be done around these.
This field is an index of the building’s internal, architectural components. This includes its internal spaces and those areas’ fixtures and fittings (building components which are securely fixed to the church or cathedral).
This field is an index of the building’s movable, non-fixed furnishings and artworks.
This field aims to record a description of the ecology of the churchyard and surrounding setting.
The everyday wildlife of burial grounds means much to those who visit and cherish them but many burial grounds are so rich in wildlife that they should be designated and specially protected. Few have the legal protection of a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) or, in the case of local authority owned cemeteries, Local Nature Reserve. This makes it even more important that they are cared for and protected by the people looking after them.
Many have a non-statutory designation as a recognition of their importance. These non-statutory designations have a variety of names in different regions including Local Wildlife Site, County Wildlife Site, Site of Importance for Nature Conservation or Site of Nature Conservation Importance (Local Wildlife Site is the most common name). Their selection is based on records of the most important, distinctive and threatened species and habitats within a national, regional and local context. This makes them some of our most valuable wildlife areas.
For example, many burial grounds which are designated as Local Wildlife Sites contain species-rich meadow, rich in wildflowers, native grasses and grassland fungi managed by only occasional mowing plus raking. When this is the case, many animals may be present too, insects, birds, amphibians, reptiles and mammals. This type of grassland was once widespread and has been almost entirely lost from the UK with approximately 3% remaining, so burial grounds with species-rich meadow managed in this way are extremely important for wildlife.
These designations should be considered when planning management or change.
If you think that this or any other burial ground should be designated please contact Caring for God’s Acre (email@example.com) to discuss. Many eligible sites have not yet received a designation and can be surveyed and then submitted for consideration.
There are no SSSIs within the curtilage of this Major Parish Church.
There are no Local nature reserves within the curtilage of this Major Parish Church.
There are no Local Wildlife sites within the curtilage of this Major Parish Church.
This field aims to record any evidence of the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
This field records basic information about the presence of a churchyard and its use as a burial ground.
Churchyards are home to fantastic trees, in particular ancient and veteran trees which can be the oldest indication of a sacred space and be features of extraordinary individuality. The UK holds a globally important population of ancient and veteran yew trees of which three-quarters are found in the churchyards of England and Wales.
There are more than 1,000 ancient and veteran yews aged at least 500 years in these churchyards.
To put this in context, the only other part of western Europe with a known significant yew population is Normandy in northern France, where more than 100 ancient or veteran churchyard yews have been recorded.
Burial grounds may contain veteran and ancient trees of other species such as sweet chestnut or small-leaved lime which, whilst maybe not so old as the yews, are still important for wildlife and may be home to many other species.
Specialist advice is needed when managing these wonderful trees. For more information or to seek advice please contact Caring for God’s Acre, The Ancient Yew Group and The Woodland Trust.
If you know of an ancient or veteran tree in a burial ground that is not listed here please contact Caring for God’s Acre.
This field is an index of the churchyard’s components.
Significance is the whole set of reasons why people value a church, whether as a place for worship and mission, as an historic building that is part of the national heritage, as a focus for the local community, as a familiar landmark or for any other reasons.
The church was the centre of many people’s lives and remains a guide to their cares and concerns. Glimpses into those lives have often come down to us in the stories we heard as children or old photographs discovered in tattered shoe boxes. Perhaps your ancestors even made it into local legend following some fantastic event? You can choose to share those memories with others and record them for future generations on this Forum.
Tell us the story of this building through the lives of those who experienced it. Tell us why this church is important to you and your community.
Upload your photographs, share your videos, or compose your story below using a Facebook, Twitter, Google or Disqus account.