Grange-over-Sands: St Paul

Name:
Grange-over-Sands: St Paul
Record Type:
Church
Church code:
607248
Diocese:
Carlisle
Archdeaconry:
Westmorland & Furness
Parish:
St. Paul Grange-over-Sands with Lindale

Statutory Designation Information

Listed Building?
This is a Grade II Listed Building
View more information about this Listed Building on the National Heritage List for England web site
Scheduled Monument?
There is no Scheduled Monument within the curtilage or precinct

National Park

The church is not in a National Park

Conservation Area

The church is in the following Conservation Area: Grange over Sands

Heritage At Risk Status

On Heritage At Risk Register?
This church is not on the Heritage at Risk Register
 

Approximate Date

Approximate Date:
Victorian/Pre-WWI

Exterior Image

Exterior image of 607248 Grange over Sands St Paul
Caption:
Exterior image of 607248 Grange over Sands St Paul
Description:
Photograph of the exterior of St Paul church Grange-over-Sands taken 26 July 2013
Year / Date:
2013
Copyright:
Edward McMaihin
Originator:
Edward McMaihin

Summary Description

There is some confusion over who designed the church which is perhaps the most curious thing about it. The architect is variously described and Nikolaus Pevsner suggests F. Murray; the listing text is close to this with J. Murray; however, information in the church refers to a Mr T. D. Barry of Liverpool. As a result of the generosity and energy of Miss Sarah Clarke of Liverpool, the church was consecrated in 1854. She had noted that the people of Grange had to travel in all weathers to Cartmel or Lindale for services. The church has grown in an organic way in tandem with the growth of Grange over Sands after the railway arrived in 1857. In 1861 a north aisle was added and a south aisle in 1867. In 1875 the chancel was lengthened and the organ and organ chamber added. A number of further alterations occurred in the twentieth century when the old east window was moved to the Fell Church. There is some good stained glass with a fine timber roof, especially to the Polygonal apse. The current layout comprises a Nave, North and South Aisles separated only by attractive slender arcades carrying long lead valley gutters over. The South Aisle is as wide as the Nave and together the three spaces together combine to form a particularly broad ground floor plan. The Sanctuary is the full width of the Nave and takes the form of an apse on plan. At the east end of the South Aisle is a Lady Chapel and at the east end of the North Aisle is an apsed Vestry matching the Sanctuary. Adjoining the Vestry is Meeting Room with new toilet and kitchen facilities including a wheelchair accessible WC, carried out in 2004. At the south west corner there is a small Vestry and Porch and the main entrance is through a small flat roofed Porch located centrally on the west elevation. The building is constructed in coursed limestone masonry with sandstone dressings and windows and the gothic architectural details are typical of its date. There is an ornamental sandstone upstand on the West Porch. The roofs are covered in Westmorland slate. There is a small hexagonal spire and turret carrying a bell at the west end.

Visiting and Facilities

The church is open for worship.
Work in progress - can you help?
 

Church Website

Church Website:
http://www.grangepcc.co.uk

Sources and Further Information

Edward McMaihin (2013) Exterior image of 607248 Grange over Sands St Paul [Digital Archive/Graphic material]
Exterior image of 607248 Grange over Sands St Paul
Basher Eyre (2015) Interior image of 607248 Grange over Sands St Paul [Digital Archive/Graphic material]
Interior image of 607248 Grange over Sands St Paul
Church of England (2021) A Church Near You https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/12405/ [Digital Archive/Index]
View information on worship and access at this church
Church Buildings Council (2019) Church Bells 1 Bell [Archive/Index]
1 Bell